Saturday, November 10, 2007

Tu parle francais?

I realize that most people in the US do not speak a second language. But... there are plenty of people that are in fact bilingual.

After it was confirmed that my husband was not J-O-N Jon, I made my way to the gate for my flight. There were 2 other people seated waiting, and I took a seat, pulling out my laptop to check on a few things, email some friends, etc. Three business men walked up to the gate chatting with one another. The oldest gentleman made a comment about me and they sat down. Little did he realize that even though he was speaking in FRENCH, I could understand him! I turned my head suddenly and looked straight at him. I'm not sure if he knew that I understood. The three sat down and proceeded to watch some comedy sketch in French on YouTube. I only understood bits and pieces because they were talking quickly -- but it amused me to know that I understood any of it and that the gentlemen were carrying on as if no one else around would know what they were doing.

It was all I could do to not blurt out in French - I hope you enjoyed Austin. Were you here for business or pleasure? Anything simple, just to prove that I knew the language and that they shouldn't assume that no one around them was listening...

No comments: