Friday, December 5, 2008

You Really Shouldn't...

Is taking your child out in public an invitation for unsolicited advice? Apparently so.

The location: The local HEB (Grocery Store)

The unsolicited advice givers: Everyone!

Just this week I was told by well meaning strangers.... as I walked from the car to the store that I should have a screen for the car seat so the sunlight doesn't shine on the baby. (Thanks, but I think we're good for the 20 yards from the car to the store. Once inside, another woman told me the reason my son was fidgety was that he was wearing socks. (That was a new one for me.) All told he was being a pretty good baby considering the day we'd had. He was starting to wiggle a bit and I tried to calm him down and gave him the paci to occupy his thoughts while I finished purusing the produce. An older woman came over and tapped me on the shoulder as I was passing the onions... She said, and I quote, "I never gave my daughters a pacifier." I stared blankly at her. "Congratulations," I said. (Ummm... thanks for sharing.)

So, all that in the matter of an hour. If I used to think strangers like to talk to me before I had kid... I'm in for it now!

No comments: